Things to do from the Summit Lodge
The Summit Lodge is central to a large number of visitor activities in the Wairarapa region. There are also numerous events on throughout the year in the Wairarapa, concerts, wine and food, sports, markets. You might, however, just want to relax in our gardens or the lounge - watch a movie or read a book or soak in the spa under the stars!
Walks - examples, Tararuas (examples: Mt Holdsworth, Mt Dick, Waiohine Gorge) or out at the coast - Castlepoint, Honey Comb Rock at Flatpoint, Riversdale) or a gentle walk around Lake Henley and the wetlands or Carters Reserve;- lots of options! Download the Department of Consevation brochure here .
Cycling - there are several road circuit options from the Summit Lodge through beautiful countryside. There is also the very challenging Admiral Hill climb right on our doorstep.Bring your own bike over or hire one! Check out the many cycling options here.
Sport - there are 6 golf courses in the Wairarapa so bring your clubs; there is also local rugby and hockey to watch and a variety of cycling and running events over the year.
Food and wine - visit nearby Martinborough, famous for its vineyards, or the nearby Gladstone wineries for world class wines. Olive oil, cheeses, honey, fruit, meat produce and vegetables are all grown and processed locally. Farmers markets are held in Masterton and Carterton on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
See how wagon wheels are made at the Wheelwright Shop which is right next door to the Summit Lodge. Greg and Ali Lang are the only full-time wheelwrights in New Zealand and were heavily involved in making wheels and vehicles for The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films.
Events -there are lots, some annual and some one offs - a sample: the Gladstone Scarecrow Fair, Daffodil Day in Carterton and Middle Run, the Kokomai Arts Festival. Celtic Equinox and Solstice celebrations. Wairarapa Wine Festival, lots of cool music events .....check out Destination Wairarapa for events throughout the year. Some of the events coming up over 2019-20 include:
- Wairarapa Women's 100, bike ride - 14 September
- Martinborough Music Festival - 27-29 September
- Kokomai - 10-19 October
- Pukaha Open Day - 27 October
- Rotary Martinborough Fun Ride - 3 November
- Pukaha Wairarapa Garden Tour - 9-10 November
- Masterton Motorplex Test & Tune - 9-10 November
- Toast Martinborough - 17 November
- Masterton Motorplex Dragracing - 7-8 December
- Masterton Motorplex Dragstalgia - 4-5 January 2020
- Wairarapa Running Festival - 5-11 January 2020
- Masterton Motorplex National Series - 15-16 February 2020
- NZ Cycle Classic - 15-19 January 2020
- Wairarapa Country Music Festival - 24-26 January 2020
- Martinborough Fair - 1 February 2020
- Golden Shears - 4-7 March 2020
- Martinborough Fair - 7 March 2020
- Wairarapa Wines Harvest Festival - 14 March 2020
- 121 at Tauherenikau - Music Festival - 13-16 March 2020
- Round the Vines - 21 March 2020
- Masterton Motorplex National Champs & Nitro Funny Cars - 21-22 March 2020
- Wairarapa Balloon Festival - 9-13 April 2020
- Australasian Master's Cycling Championships - 11-13 April 2020